As Spring Valley Hospital administrators celebrate the hospital’s 15-year anniversary on October 2, 2018, the common denominator is that the hospital’s extensive growth in services and expansion mirrors the explosive growth of Las Vegas.
“When we opened in October 2003, we were the first hospital in southwest Las Vegas. We had 200 employees and were licensed for 170 patient beds,” said Leonard Freehof, CEO/Managing Director. “Today we have over 1,300 employees, expanded to 364 beds in August, and began construction this month on the new ER at Blue Diamond to meet the additional need for emergency services.
“It’s exciting to see the advances in healthcare and explore new avenues to benefit our community,” continued Freehof. “For example, as an accredited chest pain center, our goal is to diagnose and treat chest pain within 60 minutes of arrival to our emergency department. We expanded from having a CT scan to help diagnose strokes to opening an interventional radiology suite in 2011 to perform coiling for brain aneurysms and other advanced neurological procedures, and then opening an acute rehabilitation center to help them through their recovery. With our commitment to advanced cardiovascular care, we opened a hybrid operating room where cardiovascular surgeons can perform complex, minimally invasive cardiac procedures.
“It will be interesting to see what occurs over the next five to 10 years as we celebrate future anniversaries and continue to elevate the patient care experience.”
- Groundbreaking held for ER at Blue Diamond, located on the northwest corner of Blue Diamond and Cimarron (September 2018).
- All patient care units opened in new tower, increasing total bed count to 364 (August 2018). The hospital broke ground on the four-story tower in June 2016 and opened the first two floors in June 2017.
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), a minimally invasive method to replace the aortic valve, became available upon opening the hybrid operating room in November 2016.
- Outpatient wound care center and retail pharmacy opened in 2015. In 2016, the outpatient therapy center opened, offering physical, occupational and speech therapy for adults and pediatric patients.
- Neonatal intensive care unit opened in 2009; Spring Valley Hospital has the only Level III NICU in southwest Las Vegas.
- American Heart Association’s Mission: Lifeline STEMI Receiving Center Gold Plus Recognition Award (2018).
- American Stroke Association’s Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award and Target Stroke Elite Honor Roll award (2018).
- Wound Care Center of the Year award for the West zone from Healogics, Inc. This zone includes centers from 13 states, including Nevada, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah and Washington (2018).
- The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® for Core Certification for Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement (2018).